There is nothing like tech problems to remind me why I created Goo Roo’s. Lifestyle. I have used the wisdom shared on this site a lot over the past couple of weeks. I, of course, chose to troubleshoot my own computer problems which was a huge time suck, but, all’s well that ends well. I really think I should hire professionals so I can get on with my real work I enjoy.
Through it all I took stalk of what I could control. I took time to BREATH. I ate a healthy diet. I got good sleep, mostly. I did yoga. I enjoyed a kick ass Thanksgiving with my family, remembering what was really important. I didn’t let the little things get to me. I hope you don’t mind while I catch up my 52 weeks of wellness posts this week.
Here is my list for a stress free holiday season:
- Plan ahead.
- Don’t over book every weekend.
- I keep a list of gifts and goodies to make on Keep App and use Pinterest to field and store gift and other holiday planning ideas.
- I began the deep cleaning for the Holidays in October so the light fixtures, curtains, rugs baseboards, above cabinets spider webs and windows already gleam. I also put a high gloss shine on the wood floor so it would look great with little effort. Yeah me!
- Themes for gifts each year make it simple and fun to find gifts for those on my list. Former year themes include items such as hats and gloves, bird feeders, Meal Kit Baskets, puzzles, movie tickets, gift cards, spa and shaving kits, Christmas Wreaths, PJs, and Throws to name a few ideas.
- Our pantry is almost always stalked with these essentials. CLICK Check List
- When I pack up the decorations each year I put the items from each area in the same tub and much of the tree stuff in the tree bag so reassembling is easy.
- After Thanksgiving and fall decor is stowed I bring out only a few basic holiday items to get me into the spirit of the season without being overwhelmed. To start I add a snowflake sculpture to the kitchen counter, a beautiful runner to the table, a wreath and garland to the front porch, adding a festive touch.
Get a boost with a Pumpkin Spiced Life Shake
- 2 scoops cafe latte Shaklee Life Shake Mix
- 10 ounces almond or soy milk
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- a dash of cinnamon
Mix ingredients in a blender or Shake It Until YOU Make It with our shaker cup.
Get Some Zen This Season…
Lay on you back and take a few deep comfortable breaths. Now, focusing on your breath, inhale through your nose, filling the upper part of your lungs, then the lower part expanding your breath then down into your abdomen. Inhale slowly counting as you get your full breath then on exhalation extend the count one to three counts. This type of conscious breathing is excellent at reducing our stress response and feelings of anxiety. According to Dr. Amy Wheeler of California State University kinesiology department, “Synchronizing your body and breath creates and amazing relaxation response.”
YOGA CHALLENGE FOR THIS WEEK
I invite you to join us in the Love Your Life Project Challenge. We are meeting on Tuesday evenings at 7 p.m. to share our wellness ideas, celebrate our triumphs, and work toward our wellness challenge goals. This week I challenge you to practice any of the Goo Roo’s Daily Practices on Member Page – 21 rounds. Non-members may download the Sun Salutation Flier in our store and practice it 21 times a day. I know you will feel amazing at the end of a month when you complete this challenge. I give myself a day or two a week grace so I won’t burn out on exercise. Join the facebook group on Goo Roo’s For A Healthy Community FB Page to get in on the group where you are.This challenge can be difficult, I use the Shaklee Performance Products for athletes to keep from getting sore when I push hard. I might even indulge in a Epsom salt and lavender bath to sooth my muscles after yoga. I like knowing these will help so I won’t quit when the going gets rough. I mean, you know, wimp out because my arms and legs hurt: or using it as an excuse to give up. Tonight before bed I will light a vanilla candle and practice Legs Up The Wall Pose, Moon Salutations and the pranayama practice above to get really relaxed and peaceful before bed. As, Mel Robbin’s suggests, I will also leave the smartphone out of my sleeping space. Sweet Dreams!
Have a great week. To Your Health!
Michelle Slaybaugh, Certified Yoga Instructor
NEED A GIFT?