To achieve the ultimate lifestyle of your dreams you’ll want to get going with a morning and evening routine. Science tells us that we have better brain function in the first few hours upon waking. You can really change the trajectory of your life when you rise early. Setting up the day and closing the evening activities with routine and thoughts of gratitude and abundance will go a long way toward giving you the life you want. At work I encourage you to get organized, prioritized, do the icky stuff first. Mel Robbins advises us to choose one goal to focus on… anything else we accomplish will be BONUS.
When students come to me to learn yoga, they often really want tools for a better life. I call it the Goo Roo’s Lifestyle. I found some great things to bring myself the life I love. Below I describe a productive routine. Fun Time is a totally different thing! Weekends are often for work around the house, but, I’m good at pampering retreat time too! Always take time to enjoy the little things in life!
Since we are sharper in the morning, getting up early is a great way to jump start your day providing you had a good nights sleep (We’ll address that later.)
- First thing I do in the morning is get a big glass of water, sometimes, I add a little fresh lemon juice or ginger.
- The next thing I do is find a quiet comfy place to sit. I will close my eyes and gently stretch while getting into Breathing BIG. Morning stiffness can be hard to overcome, so , remember that we can’t lubricate our joints unless we move them. I love this private moment to check into my body.
- Invigorating Yoga Practice, a swim or long walk with the dogs is a natural next choice.
- About a hour after exercise or asana I will have an enjoyable light breakfast. Today was homemade toast with honey and a cup of peaches. Often, I love a yummy Shaklee Shake with coconut or almond milk, spinach, a banana, and several big chunks of pineapple, or Chocolate/Peanut Butter or another equally delish option.
- During and after breakfast I read or write in a journal for about 45 minutes.
- After getting dressed and ready for the day, I take a moment to look over the days agenda in a prioritizing and planning session, then, head to work on my big goal for the day. I like working in 40 minute cycles so I can get up, move around, get a drink or take care of a personal call or task. When I have clearly outlined the end objective of my work I can break it down into doable parts.
- At lunch I usually have another Shaklee Shake Creation or I use this time to get together with friends or my Sweet Mom. (Otherwise, I get out of touch with people.)
- Afternoon brings more work after assessing progress and figuring my One Thing. Something I got from the book, by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan, called ‘The One Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results. “What is the ONE Thing I can do such that by doing it everything else would be easier or unnecessary.” A life changing concept I think. By doing this we gain laser focus to feel great about our accomplishments at the days end.
- I like to have a fun thing planned for our evening meal. This time is very much an expression of our current desires and whims. I
challenge to make them nutritious by adding veggies and fruit to almost anything and trying new things. I have been making all food from scratch. Making my own bread and creating dishes with fish and seafood, lean beef, pork and chicken, eggs, rice, quinoa, pasta, Super-Foods, teas and COFFEE! We try any nationality of food and have a lot of fun with it. We tried most of the delivery prep services and loved them, but, wanted to enjoy the fun of figuring out what to eat together.
- After Dinner hot tea for me and little together time with my Sweetie and the Dogs. I am usually immersed in a book or two. I head to bed pretty early and make a ritual of washing my face, brushing my teeth and getting ready for sleep. With a glass of water I head to bed after a little time in slow nourishing stretchy full breath yoga.
- Good Night Sleep Right! – Have trouble try lavender oil and legs up the wall pose.
Goo Roo’s is all about improving our daily lives. We are loving the new flow asana practice series we are developing for Daily Yoga Practice which is made of the best practices and our favorite postures. What a way to start the day! We would love to have you in our community sharing your ideas. Any questions? Contact Michelle here for information on classes and membership powered by Shaklee.
TO YOUR HEALTH! – Michelle Slaybaugh,
Goo Roo Founder, Certified Yoga Instructor and Your Local Shaklee Distributor
Coming Up ….. Retreats